Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Woman and Islam-



I first clicked on this site to learn more about the dress of a woman in Turkey for example the "head scarf" was banned in 2001 and is not allowed to be worn in a university. Women want to start wearing the head scarf as saying to the men this is only how much I AM allowing you to see rather than letting her hair down, its empowerment for the women. This article then goes on to talk about other men and self control but then gets back down to the head scarf. Really good read to help understand the way of Islam.
Link

3 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by the contrasting perspectives of this and your previous blog posts. What are we to think about the situation of Islamic women?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video was very interesting...I've been looking into some more Turkish things if you're interested in meeting sometime and discussing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get so mad when I hear things like that. Really the head scarf has become just another symbol for which men try to assert their control. It' s crap. If you want to wear a head scarf and it doesn't fall into the realm of overt disrespect to another person, you should be able to wear it. Especially if it is for the provision of modesty, which I believe to be the reason for their dismissal from schools. A head scarf is one of those things that you can send a message that in your endeavor for modesty or what you're allowing one to see, I have the power to dictate that.

    ReplyDelete